Big Idea, mind body and soul

During the last few weeks we’ve been learning about the body, We are learning about the body through five different rotations; Bizarre body, senses city, Hearts R’ us, all aboard and last but not least and body inside out. But we’ve only got to finish four.
The first rotation I did was body inside out, Chira, Ella, Bailey S, Matt and I firstly worked on sticky taping newspaper pages together, to make a big piece of newspaper that Ella could fit on; the main idea was to make a newspaper person and stick all the parts of the body that we know and stick them where they go. Chira traced and stuck the places where they went while the rest of us made the parts, in the end it turned out to be great.
It’s a new day and I’ve got another rotation for the body, the next rotation is all aboard, for that rotation I had the choice of reading, looking at a structure of the human body or making a body, I got to do all of them but had trouble making the body with Thomas, Lauren the expert had to step in and help, one of the many things I learnt from that is pure oxygen is only %20 air!
Next activity is Hearts R’ us which I’ve just got the slightest weird feeling about, what we did was we found our pulse and counted how much beets in a minute resting, I got fifty secondly he asked us to walk up and back for a while, then he asked us to count our heartbeat again for a minute, I went u %20 and had 60 beats, for jogging I had 80 and last of all sprinting I had 100… but the session wasn’t over, what possibly could he want us to do? No, oh no… he wants us to work with Sheep and Chickens hearts! The Sheep’s heart was normal but the chicken heart was awfully small, it sounds disgusting, but it smelt quite normal, anyway, I don’t think I’ll be doing that activity again.
Last activity for now: senses city, In senses city we were blindfolded, first we had to taste and guess what it was, like jam and stuff like that. Secondly we had to smell stuff like powders, herbs and spices and then we had to walk blind folded , Thomas was banging into poles and everything, so we used three of our senses and learnt a whole lot of stuff too.< To learn about the soul all of the 5/6 students at St. Therese went through 5 rotations. Those 5 rotations were Musical Vibe, In the zone, Stretch-o-rama, Combo Station and Picture this. We did all of these in roughly half a month and all of these rotations were about the soul. If you scroll down you'll see posts about the mind and body, that was different rotations we did as well. The first rotation I did was In the Zone with Mrs Rayson. Mrs Rayson showed as all of these different relaxations and meditations to "feed the soul". We did relaxation, awareness, observation, feelings and sensations and validation. My favorite one was relaxation and my least favorite one was a tie between 3. That made me really understand what the soul is and I wonder what would happen if you had no soul. Does the soul need something to run like your body needs blood, or does it run by itself? I'd like to investigate how relaxation "feeds the soul" further. The second rotation I did was Stretch-o-rama with Miss Mahon, which was actually yoga. Yoga was painful but different, but it was my first time of doing Yoga so, the more I do it the easier it will get. I recon for me Yoga doesn't really "feed the soul". I wonder who invented yoga and where did the name come from? I learnt that nobody has the same soul, some people loved yoga, some people thought it was funny, I just thought it was painful. I'd like to investigate some of the ancients of yoga further(people really good at yoga). The third rotation I did was Musical Vibe with Mr Dando. Mr Dando played songs from the 1900-1990's. The group and I had to write about why the music back then "fed the soul" and words that might of described it. I wonder what it would of actually felt like listening to the music that they had back then, I learnt that music changed alot from decade to decade. I wonder what type of music we'll have in the future, and I'd like to investigate what people looked like back then further. The final rotation I did(so far) was Combo Stations with Mr Hynes. We did 5 different rotations, those 5 were Ipads, Illusions on the computers, books, puzzles and drawings. My favorite rotation was the Illusions on the computers. I wonder if there's still mgicians who use Illusions for there magic tricks and who invented Illusions? I learnt that optical illusions are very clever to make. I'd like to investigate how to make an optical illusion further.

BIG IDEA PROJECT
For this term the 5/6 community is doing a project on mind, body or soul. I chose the nervous system and I'm doing a 10-page book about it, a model and a movie. At the end of the term parents will be coming around and looking at our projects.

So far I’ve almost completed my book and nearly completed my model and movie. I’ts the 15th of June and I’ve got a week left to finish. I’d like to investigate further how the nervous system grows and animals nervous system. I got my information from the internet, books from school and the library to get my information.

I’ve learnt that here are 3 nervous systems to make the big nervous system: autonomic, peripheral and the central nervous system. They all play different parts to make you do things.

Last activity for now: senses city, In senses city we were blindfolded, first we had to taste and guess what it was, like jam and stuff like that. Secondly we had to smell stuff like powders, herbs and spices and then we had to walk blind folded , Thomas was banging into poles and everything, so we used three of our senses and learnt a whole lot of stuff too.< Hi, this is Liam again writing this post witch I’m stuck for ideas about at St Therese in 5/6 red. Over the last 24 days or so the Grade 5/6 at St Therese School have been learning a whole lot of stuff about the brain... yes I know it does sound real boring but it really is quite interesting. Your brain is split up into 3 main parts: The Cerebrum, the cerebellum and The brain stem, but the cerebrum dominates and covers %85 of the brain. The Cerebrum controls sight, touch hearing and taste and much more. The Cerebellum controls coordinated movements of the muscles, like walking or swinging the arms. This means that the movement is smooth and controlled and you don’t fall over when you turn around. The Brain Stem is in charge of keeping the automatic systems of your body working. You don’t have to think about breathing, you just do it automatically, but you can decide if you want to hold your breath for a short time. You don’t have to think about your heart beating because your brain keeps it going automatically. I have also learnt that I am a Mathematical Logical learner from Howard Gardners theory about the 8 different kind of learners on this planet. The 8 types of learners are: Mathematical Logical Intrapersonal Bodily/kinaesthetic Interpersonal Naturalist Musical Verbal/Linguistic and Visual/Spatial 28/2/2012 In term 2 we did a project on mind, body and soul: The best part of this was finding a heap of things out . I will wlways remember thst there are 12 different cranial nerves. I am most proud of the 10 page book I did. I got alot better at pesenting it neat. I would have liked to made a better model. I need to improve on the overall presentation. I still wonder what type of electricity flows through the nervous system to make bridges. I was suprised that there's a type of electricity in the nervous system. The most important thing that I have learned is that the nervous system doesn't make decisions, it's the servant from the brain that does them. I can now write a bigger book about it. I wish I had a did you know page.

One thought on “Big Idea, mind body and soul