Reflection on the previous weeks

Our Big Idea topic for this term is science. So we had to bring a picture in of anything scientific, and I brung in an adult in a science lab adjusting some chemicals to form new ones. We then watched a video on YouTube about everything that is science. In the following minutes we then had to choose some topic within science which you will research, I chose Physics and Psychology, which you chose either one or the other.

I chose Physics because I want to know more about things like the motions/laws of gravity and what exact degrees you and kilometres an hour you have to throw if you want to throw a ball in a bucket or in a hole at the other side of the park.

I also thought of Psychology because I want to learn more about the secrets behind Psychological magic trickss where they guess the Country or the word. I also wanted to learn about how the brain develops and how we think.

So I did some research and found way more information on Physics than I did on Phycology. I went to a Physics site called Fizzics Fizzle and found out mainly about vector quantities and the SI system/ metric system.

The vector quantities on the websie tolled me that in a begginers point of view; if you have a vector of 20 to the right and a vector of 10 to the left then your vector quantity will be 10 to the right. But a vector quantity does not just consist of left and right .

This was one of the examples on the website:

Your father tells you that he lived about 10 km away from his school and he walked through a blizzard in his bare feet to school and it takes him about 5 hours. So what was the distance he traveled? This is sometimes hard to calculate. If he walked in a straight line, through trees and houses and anything else in the way, it would be 10 km. But the most accurate way to measure it is to connect all of his footprints and measure how long it is. Let’s say we connected all the footprints and found out he actually walked 15 km.

So his distance is 15 km…
…and his displacement is 10 km in the direction of his school (note that the direction must be stated for vector quantities, unless it’s 0).
Therefore, his speed was 3 km/hr…
…and his velocity was 2 km/hr in the direction of his school.

I thought that that was a very good example that the site came up with, now right now you might me thinking god help me I HAVE NO IDEA. Well that’s what I thought at the start but if you think it through it took him five hours to get to school so if his distance was 15km/ph divided by 5 hours it is 3km/ph and the displacement in the direction of his school is 10km/ph and wen you divide it by 5 hours you come up with 2km/ph.

Here is some of the formulas for that:

Speed is calculated by taking the distance traveled divided by the time traveled. The magnitude of velocity is calculated by taking the displacement made divided by the time traveled.

So if I have a distance of 50 kilometres and travelled it in 75 hours than obviously your speed is 1.5km/ph or 1 and a half kilometers per hour.

With the other formula as we were saying before with 20 right and 10 left wether it’s meters or whatever 10 to the right is the displacement. So lets say the displacement is 10 kilometers and takes 5 hours the magnitude of velocity is 2 km/ph.